In the last few years, the North Africa and the Middle East region has been witnessing violence, revolutions, conflicts, terrorism and proxy wars that are eventually leading to other political, sectarian, religious and economic crises. Women and men, girls and boys, are affected by conflicts , yet women in particular are more vulnerable but far more influential. Women have the potential to make meaningful contributions as changemakers and leaders but they often lack the means and platform to harness that potential. They shall see the current chaos as a great gift and opportunity to rethink, reconnect, and reinvent. If their authentic community organizing could be matched with the self-awareness, mindfulness and compassion practices of meditation, it could revolutionize how they affect social change.
Following the success of the first Heya Fellowship in Morocco in 2018, World Peace Initiative Foundation continues to run this project and support young women to empower themselves and impact their homes, families and communities by strengthening their personal growth and trusting their inner power through meditation and self-development as well as promoting solidarity. We offer you this opportunity to peacefully co-exist with extraordinary fellow women leaders to network, live together, empower yourself and others.
Are you a female leader who is actively involved in social work and have the passion for social change? Do you want to reveal your inner power? Then this Fellowship is for YOU!!
Heya Fellowship is the first of its kind in the region to nurture the space for women for inner transformation through self-development and meditation which will eventually lead to community transformation.
- Support Heya participants with the tools to inner peace and self-development through meditation and mindfulness practice.
- Nurture the inner strength, creativity and self-esteem of women from all walks of life across the MENA region
- Bring young women leaders and activists from the region together, provide a forum for networking, friendship, peace and exchange of experiences and mutual intercultural dialogue.
The retreat will include interactive activities, yoga classes and women circles delivered by our facilitators and mentors beside the lectures and meditation sessions guided by the teaching monks and our trainers both in Arabic and English Language. We hope to provide a conscious way of living on the retreat site to become healthy, happy, holy and to have the pure time to self reflect on your life and Goals.
- Sponsorship of airfare (up to 700 USD depending on the residing country)
- Local Transportation
- Food & Accommodation
- Meditation Sessions and Lectures
- Yoga Classes
- Interactive Workshops
- Transportation within participant’s country
- Visa costs
- Personal expenses
- Participation fee of 200 USD
Nationals and residents of these countries:
- Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Sudan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
- Age required between 20-32 years old at the time of application submission in order to receive the airfare support.
- Completed the 21 days of the online self-development program.
- Young female leaders who have the passion for social change and actively involved within the spheres of politics, society, culture, peace-building, entrepreneurship and media among others.
- Good proficiency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Commitment fees of 200 USD. The fees are a contribution that needs to be paid before the arrival to the retreat site, /by Bank transfer or Western Union
Important Note: Those residing in the countries other than the eligible countries mentioned above will not be considered. Exceptions can be made for refugees who are from one of the eligible countries but live elsewhere.
Note that in order to submit the application form, candidates do not need to have completed the online self-development program. Smoking is not allowed during the retreat days since it is violating the 5 acts of self-discipline. All fellowship activities, sessions and lectures will be carried in English and Arabic.
Friday 20th April 2018
Friday 11th May 2018
1. What is the self development program?
The free online self-development program is a 21-day challenge (for the Heya fellowship) teaching the skills and techniques involved in the development of inner peace. It provides guided meditation videos and daily reflections to support personal development and the practice of mindfulness. You can start the first episode here.
2. What am I suppose to write in the proposal question in the application?
A Mini PIPO proposal is a space for you to submit your possible commitment towards World Peace Initiative Foundation. As you may have read, we call PIPO to the series of meditation events a peace agent (someone that has attended the International Fellowship in Thailand) organizes in his/her country once he or she has returned home. Here we are interested in knowing what do you think about if, whether you would be able to do that, which kind of contacts you have, possible venues, estimated amount of people, how you would plan to do that, etc. So, this is a space for you to also add or tell us about different ideas you have to keep engaged with the organization regardless the possibility of organizing PIPO, for example linking your organization with ours, helping us in a specific area of your expertise, organizing periodic online meditation sessions, etc.
3. When do I have to pay the 200 USD commitment?
After you receiving the email that you are selected in the program you can pay your contribution to Ensure your Location there.
4. What kind of "certificate" shall I upload in the application?
The certificate can be a recommendation letter/reference from your organization, employer or professor that illustrates your experience and drive for social change.
5. How long will the Heya fellowship take and where?
The Heya fellowship will take place from 4-8 July 2018 in Georgia.
6. What is the Nationality eligibility criteria?
Nationals and residents of these countries are eligible to apply: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Syria, Sudan, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
7. I am 19 years old, can I apply?
Only participants between 20 and 32 years old at the time of application submission are eligible to apply. If you are above 32 you can apply but you will not receive airfare support. If you are under 20 years old, you are not eligible.
WPI envisions sustainable change happening when each and every one of us works towards their own self-development. Thus, we have created free and accessible tools for the empowerment and wellbeing of individuals worldwide, regardless of age, race, religion, cultural background.